Labels

Friday 6 April 2012

#3WideBlog Opinion: Mayfield in ARCA?

     I have learned through twitter and reading an article by Bob Pockrass, that ARCA team owner Roger Carter wants to enter a car for suspended NASCAR driver Jeremy Mayfield. My jaw absolutely dropped when I read this. I couldn't believe that anyone would release this kind of statement untill Mayfield had dealt with his US Court cases. May 1st 2009 at Richmond, Mayfield tested positive for methamphetamine, the next week at Darlington, Mayfield was indefinitely suspended by NASCAR for violating their substance abuse policy. At the time Mayfield had stated, "I believe a combination of a prescribed medicine and an over the counter medicine reacted resulting in a positive drug test".
     David Black (oversaw testing program at the time) said "What we have is a clear violation of policy. I have never seen a violation like this due to the combination of over-the-counter or prescription products." Saying it was "a drug of concern."
     Mayfield at the time and still has not attended NASCARs rehab and rather has taken legal action against NASCAR. I am sure this rehab offered by NASCAR would have been a be a paid for stay. Successful treatment and evaluation by a doctor could even clear his name, but yet it seems he would rather take the long road and sue NASCAR.
     A US District Court Judge temporarily lifted Mayfield's suspension. But in July 2009, NASCAR stated that Mayfield had again tested positive for meth on July 6, five days after his suspension was lifted. To me this is a clear indicator that this is a problem. While under suspension he continued his legal battles with NASCAR untill a US appeals court in refused to reopen the lawsuit by Mayfield's against NASCAR over his suspension for failing the drug test. All the while I believe not entering ANY rehab programs to at least clear his name. Mayfield got into more trouble too. In 2011 he was arrested for allegedly having 1.5 grams of meth in a safe, and $100,000 in stolen goods on his property. Allegedly. That case is still before the courts.

    And that's what ARCA officials are waiting for, to see the outcome of Mayfields court case. Until then ARCA has stated, no comment because Mayfield hasn't applied for an ARCA license . I personally tweeted Steve O'Donnel Senior VP of NASCAR and asked him his thoughts on Mayfield in ARCA. His response? "no thoughts" My thoughts on Mayfield racing in ARCA? Listen, I am all for give a guy a second chance. I know people make mistakes, and change and get better. Hey most of this is alleged at this point anyway so its all speculation. But be any of this true, ARCA and any other sanctioning body for that matter had better take some serious precautions before they let someone with that history drive at those speeds with other drivers. Its about safety not chances. Again this is if its true. But rehab a must, and tests every week. 


   I again believe in second chances but they have to be the right way and under the right circumstances. He was quite the wheelman, and if he could prove that he is drug-free absolutely I would like to see him race again. Just tested every week.


   Until next time Smitty OUT


Bob Pockrass article http://aol.sportingnews.com/nascar/story/2012-04-03/jeremy-mayfield-arca-racing-roger-carter-suspended-from-nascar-meth

Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Mayfield

     PS NEW Comment Section, ANYONE can comment now. Criticism and opinions appreciated but please be polite.

5 comments:

  1. I too believe in second chances. I also believe in innocent until proven guilty. And I also believe there are 3 sides to every story, each person/entity's & the truth. There are so many truly bizarre circumstances & accusations in this story what I find near impossible to believe is that any of my previously stated beliefs will be truly satisfied! Every time something new comes to light, it results not in any solutions but only more questions.

    Questions on the NASCAR side: 1) Why would NASCAR go after this guy so hard? 2) If he didn't really fail a drug test just what DID he do to tick them off so badly?

    Questions on the Mayfield side: 1) Why would Mayfield file lawsuits instead of simply taking the suspension & rehab? 2) If he really was so addicted to meth, why isn't he showing any physical effects of the drug? 3) If he is telling the truth, who is he protecting?

    I always liked Jeremy & I enjoy NASCAR. I hope when this is all over, we have more answers than questions. And that those answers are the real truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want to say that "I" haven't made up any bizarre circumstances & accusations, I have just formed an opinion based on what's already been said.

      NASCAR Q 1&2 IMO They didn't initially "go after" him it was a random drug test. Mayfield sued NASCAR not the other way around. Also said to be related to Crocker incident which is totally different. Brief blurb in wiki link.

      Mayfield Q 1 I can't figure that one out myself. 2 Again hard to answer, but repeated failure of drug tests show more than an anomaly.

      I liked Jeremy too, the truth shall set him free.

      Delete
    2. No, not you silly! The circumstances & accusations by & between Mayfield & NASCAR! LOL

      The "go after" was meaning the results which may or may not have been altered, tampered with or skewed not the original test. If what Jeremy says is true, I'd like to hear his reasoning as to why NASCAR would do any of that (if he even has a clue himself, NASCAR has been known to do strange things for no apparent reason). I don't remember a Crocker incident (I'm assuming you mean Erin?), will check that out.

      It does seem strange a second test would also result in a failure. You'd think every attempt would be made to ensure no further issues & also that he'd make sure he wouldn't have ANYTHING in his system.

      Delete
  2. Smitty, nice blog, I found it when Mark Martin retweeted you. One suggestion I have (and you can visit my blog, where I write about NASCAR stuff quite often: http://adamniemeyer.blogspot.com/) for you is to hyperlink the articles within your own article. I began doing this a few months ago and it helps to see the articles you reference as hyperlinks.

    If you need any help with it feel free to e-mail me (my e-mail address is on my blog's About Me page). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adam, and thanks for reading. Thank you for the advice aswell, I am new to this and can use the advice. Thanks again!

      Delete