Labels

Friday 20 July 2012

#3WideBlog Opinion: NASCAR's Drug Testing Procedure; Good Enough?

AJ Allmendinger (Getty Images)
     Recently, NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver AJ Allmendinger failed a random drug test administered by NASCAR. The sample was sent to Dr. David Black, Program Administrator at Aegis Sciences Corporation, the forensic science company hired by NASCAR to perform sample analyses. If this scenario sounds familiar, it is because not so long ago Jeremy Mayfield was in the same position. Aegis and NASCAR stand by the lab's procedures. No one (to my knowledge) in the garage area or the media had ever noticed any errant behavior of the driver which would lead to speculation of any drug use; the use of any illegal drug was vehemently denied by the driver.

     The similarities seemingly end there. While NASCAR quickly released that Mayfield had failed for methamphetamines, they still have not reported the substance which caused Allmendinger's failed test. Mayfield's "B" sample was almost immediately tested with the same result; Allmendinger's "B" sample will not be tested until July 24th. Mayfield asserted his positive test was due to the interaction between an over-the-counter allergy medication and a drug prescribed by his physician to control symptoms of his ADHD; Allmendinger's camp has stated the failure stemmed from a slightly elevated level of an unknown (or at the very least unreported) stimulant which they feel could be related to a dietary supplement.

Jeremy Mayfield (LAT PHOTOGRAPHIC)
     Although at first glance the stories are different, I feel other issues are simmering below the surface which, in my opinion, must be looked at. Before the season began, NASCAR assured its fans that the days of hidden penalties and behind-the-scenes dealings were over. We were promised true transparency. I feel NASCAR has failed to deliver on these promises thus far. The test was administered on June 29th and the results were first reported on July 4th. Allmendinger was pulled from the car so close to the start of the July 7th race that a replacement driver just barely made it to Daytona in time. Although the question regarding the length of time has been raised, to my knowledge no explanation has been given. Another question is why NASCAR is the only sport which has "A" and "B" samples tested by the same lab. Once a positive test result is found, other sports have the "B" sample tested by a second lab. In my opinion, that is the correct procedure. If the "B" sample results are found to be the same by a different lab, the validity of the result can hardly be questioned. The odds of two separate labs coming up with the same result in error would be astronomical.


     As reported by Nate Ryan, Carl Edwards is calling for an alteration to NASCAR's testing policy. He feels, and I obviously agree, that we live in an imperfect world and for that reason, the use of more than one lab would provide peace of mind. Edwards was quoted as saying: ”My point is I think the drivers need to get together, and we need to have our own group...to be here in tandem with the NASCAR drug testers and have them test us at the same time so that we have not just an ’A’ and ’B’ sample, but an ’A’ and ’B’ testing facility.... I don’t think it would be a contentious thing. ... I think until we do that, no matter what is found to be positive, no matter what the test results are, there is always going to be that little question of, ’Maybe there was a mistake.’ ” Not surprisingly, NASCAR spokesman David Higdon said the sanctioning body was satisfied with the policy and wasn’t planning any changes. ("Carl Edwards: NASCAR needs to alter drug-testing policy," Detroit Free Press, http://www.freep.com/article/20120714/SPORTS16/120713086/Carl-Edwards-NASCAR-needs-to-alter-drug-testing-policy, Jul. 14, 2012)


     The polar opposite to Edwards' opinion was put forth by Brad Keselowski. ”I don’t think we need more politics in the sport,” Keselowski said. ”That’s what gropus [sic.] like that bring in..." (Detroit Free Press, Jul. 14, 2012) He hasn't explained what "politics" he was referring to nor how they would come into play in a negative way. My belief has always been that better decisions are made when based on the most information available and that keeping things as above-board as possible can only bring about positivity. I also found Keslowski's opinion odd in light of his comment that, as far as Allmendinger's reputation, "Whether (the 'B' sample) comes back positive or negative, it's still a death sentence." In addressing the media at New Hampshire, Keselowski also said, in respect to his own experiences, "But when you go in that room to have a drug test – and I've never taken drugs in my life, I'm scared shitless of it and it's honestly a phobia of mine – I go in that room and I'm still scared. Becauese you know if something goes wrong, it's a death sentence for your career. It's over. And it's in human hands, and by the very nature of it being in human hands, there's a potential for error." (Jeff Gluck, "NASCAR At Loudon: Brad Keselowski's Anti-Drug, Anti-Vitamin, Anti-Supplement Rant," http://www.sbnation.com/nascar/2012/7/13/3158006/brad-keselowski-nascar-drug-vitamin-supplement-rant-2012/in/2920891, Jul. 13, 2012) He admits there is a possibiilty of error and that any such error can be a "death sentence." If a driver's career hangs in the balance, doesn't it make sense to take every possible precaution that a life isn't ruined in error?


Brad Keselowski (Getty Images)
     Keselowski went on to say: "My personal belief that nothing should be allowed. Nothing. I don't feel like you should be able to take Flintstones (vitamin) pills. It's my personal belief. You're race car drivers, you should have to overcome it. I think it's a bunch of bullshit people should be allowed to take supplements, any of those things. I don't think that's right. I don't think any athlete should be allowed to take that. But that's my own personal belief." Further, "I laugh out loud when I read that people say, 'Well I have my supplements checked.' Like there's some special list of supplements that are OK, but these aren't! What kind of world is that? That's terrible. Nothing should be allowed. Because then it comes down to if you've got a doctor or a lawyer who says, 'This is OK and this is not.' And I think we all know you can get a doctor or a lawyer these days to say you're OK with anything you do." And: " I don't think there needs to be any committee that approves drugs or supplements because I think you shouldn't be allowed to take anything. You should just man up and drive the damn race car." (www.sbnation.com, July. 13, 2012)


     I think this is where Keselowski lost a bit of touch with reality. Not being able to take vitamins or supplements of any kind? Maybe he'll feel differently once he hits his 30s! As anyone who has ever taken even a high school class in biology knows, the human body is a very fragile thing. I find it hard to believe there are more than a handful of people whose basic diet is so nutrionally perfect that not one necessary vitamin or mineral is lacking. And considering how differently each individual's system processes what is consumed, there are times when vitamins, supplements and medications are imperitive to one's health. I wonder how Mark Martin (noticeably absent from any reported comment) feels about Keselowski's view on vitamins and supplements as well as if Jimmie Johnson took any offense to having his supplements checked called out as laughable. (Johnson has stated multiple times that his supplements are tested/approved by Dr. Black/Aegis.) I have no idea what, if anything, Keselowski took at the time of his broken ankle but I do wonder how he was able to drive a punishing course like Pocono without as much as a Tylenol in his system.


     Other drivers handle the issue in a variety of ways. Jeff Burton sticks to supplements on the NFL's approved list and Clint Bowyer uses products supplied by his sponsor 5-Hour Energy. We can assume with relative certainty that both Kyle and Kurt Busch consume Monster Energy drinks, Dale Earnhardt Jr. has had an Amp or two and Brian Vickers has polished off his fair share of Red Bulls. None of these drivers have had a positive test result. Have they just been lucky? Or maybe it's because what they have ingested hasn't interacted with anything else they may have in their system. Perhaps none of the ingredients can ever cause a positive, or they simply are not found in high enough levels to cause a false one.



      Finally, I revisit a topic I brought up in the beginning. How could a driver possibly use any drug, especially one with effects as visible as meth has, without notice? I will not profess to have first-hand knowledge of Mayfield's life or situation but in my opinion he, nor anyone else, could have kept a meth addiction hidden. One does not have to be a drug expert to know one of the most obvious side effects of meth use is the rotting of teeth. If you look at pictures of Mayfield from years ago and compare them to recent ones, his teeth have not changed nor do they appear cosmetically enhanced. Also, while I have read of Mayfield's other legal problems, I have not read that he has failed any further drug tests. Is it possible that a non-drug-additcted NASCAR driver would choose to use meth for the first time during the season when he knows he subject to random drug tests? I suppose it's possible but realistically the answer is no. If someone is going to try an illegal drug, I would think they would choose a time when they are least likely to get caught. Could a person addicted to meth suddenly stop using without a single symptom of withdrawal? Especially when being monitored by law enforcement officials? Again, no. I realize some readers will shake their heads and think I'm merely defending a favorite driver, but this is not the case. While I never disliked Mayfield, I am not a big enough fan to grasp at straws in his defense. I simply state these facts in support of my opinion that many questions remain. Considering NASCAR's closed-mouth attitude on the subject, as well as their reluctance to modify or upgrade their testing procedures, we may never get answers to any of them.


Written by: Judy Brizz ( @GERI13FAN) on Twitter

2 comments:

  1. Judy Brizz / @GERI13FAN24 July 2012 at 15:48

    Hello Mr. Ricketts! While I'm not a "sir" I appreciate the compliment! :)

    ReplyDelete